So its time once again for school to start. I am once again taking a flying leap, and changing things. Hannah is returning to a school environment, rather than being taught at home. I have to admit, its hard. I do no feel defeated by homeschooling, but rather feel as though for a season it was right, and for a season, this season Hannah returning to school is right. I am not, nor will I ever be a person who believes in absolutes as they pertain to schooling. Things change and circumstances change. Hannah was lonely, and the few neighbors, and church friends were not enough for my social girl.
Did I put her back in school because of the social aspect, heavens no. We have a full year ahead of us, with many changes for our family. I cannot effectively meet every ones needs while homeschooling. Some may say I am selfish or my decision is wrong, but after much thought, and prayer for now it is right. Our lives do not look like many other people we know. Its safe to say we are different because of what God has asked of us. For many, trying to understand the ins and outs of what it looks like to be a family created out of biology, as well as fostering/adopting, is too outside their scope. I get that. I do not expect others to understand, or to be empathetic because when you don't live it, you cannot truly understand it. Yet because this is the make-up of our family we have to look at all sides of these things.
With all of our commitments we have to the state, it was rough last year for Hannah. I cannot decide because Hannah is sick or having a rough day, to miss a visit with mini's parents. Her visits are court ordered and must be made up if they are missed. I cannot miss a court date, or an appointment. Because of this Hannah experience much more of the ins and outs that are involved in fostering, more than I wanted her to know or experience. I cannot change that, but I also cannot let that continue.
So for many reasons both expressed and not tomorrow starts are new school year. She is very excited, and looking forward to getting to know her new teacher and classmates. My table is littered with school supplies from the mammoth list I was provided upon registration. We have met the secretaries, and principal and we are excited as a household because Hannah's excitement is contagious. I do fret a bit, I am a mom, I am concerned that she will be influenced, but pray that we will influence her more. I am concerned that she will not learn all the things we would at home, but know that learning doesn't stop when the school day ends, I worry what my friends will thing of our decision, but know that Bryan and I feel confident that for now this is right. So I will once again walk my sweet girl to her classroom, her 3rd grade classroom, with her 3rd grade teacher. Who gave her permission to grow up? It certainly wasn't me.
No comments:
Post a Comment